This post is a non-biased post, created as a part of my research in an attempt to answer my own questions about should I go self-hosted or not. I am NOT an ExPERT and you must do your own research if you want to make money or run a business. This blog post is basic research. I will most likely stay a worpress.com user for some time because at present I have no business ambitions.
What is Mailchimp?
Mailchimp is a way of creating mailing list. Mailchimp allows a free service upto 2,000 subscribers see pricing here.
Things you must be mindful of:-
- You can not add someone to your list without their consent.
- Your mailing list supplier must be GDPR compliant and allow you to be compliant.
- Because mailing lists are a form of advertising you have to give your address details so people can contact you. I believe this is a Legal requirement. Obviously, you do not want to use your home address, or work address, so you may have to think about a PO Box. PO Boxes cost money.
- Most people use mailchimp because it is free to start, but there are other options for mailing list, like Active Campaign, Convert Kit, and others.
Creating a Campaign.
Remember – YOU CAN NOT ADD people to your contact list without their permissions.
As always I share youtube video to give you a flavour of how to create a campaign. I, unfortunately, can not find a video that actually show you how to set up a mailchimp account first of all. I have set one up and it really easy to do. But, you have to give your address!
What is GDPR?
The reason I am including GDPR in this post is that it is very important to understand that GDPR when you plan to do anything on the internet. GDPR – was released on 25th May 2018. Here are a few links on GDPR. With a mailing list you are collecting data on a person, so you are responsible for that data, you really don’t want to collect more than you truly need.
Why I Won’t be Using a Mailing List Service
As I have already stated, I have no idea of what I want to sell, and currently, I am blogging for fun. As much as I want to create a mailing which is separate to the email list I have on wordpress.com is
- I can’t see the value add of having two mailing lists, effectively one from the blog, and another one using mailchimp; that my blogging friends might sign up too.
- However, the advantage of mailchimp is you use your landing page, on facebook and get a mailing list to grow that way, where people may not visit your blog. Your can run other campaigns that are not blog related. But, because I am not a business, or offering anything extra I guess this where I get stuck, to see what is the value add of me creating and running a mailchimp list.
- Additionally, the cost to run a PO.BOX as my address for only 6 months was something like £200 plus pounds.
Do your own research on this, this a basic post to help me figure it out. I am no expert and I don’t claim to be any clearer in what I should do.
Thanks for reading. This post was created 7th Oct 2018, it is not meant to be an expert advise post, it is a basic research post of someone who is still a bit clueless. But, the videos shared are helpful I know for sure.
If you have more experience than I please share it in the comments for other wordpress.com users to learn from. There are a lot of us that are confused.
This is the last post in this series.
I created all these posts for my personal basic learning and understanding. I wanted, to share with you all because I know we are interested in these topics. Thought I am not going to be following up with these -YET, it has been a great learning curve for myself and I hope you enjoyed it too.