I tell you from experience gratitude works, when you feel lack, depressed, down, that life is too much – be grateful for all you have, for we all have a lot, but we never stop to see what we have.
The Gratitude Journal – The way I do it.
Get a nice small A5 note book if you like. Write 3 to 10 things you are grateful for every single day for 21 day or 3 months (my preference is 3 months – as that how long it takes me to for a habit).
I would suggest you do this activity in the evening – every single day, and you might want to add an extra session when you are feeling particularly low.
If you haven’t practiced a gratitude journal it will feel a bit weird for a while and that is why the longer you do it, the better you will feel.
Also, it is okay to repeat the gratitude daily, as it will cement the feeling.
What to be grateful for
Well, be grateful for the big things, the medium things, the small things, the smallest of small things and see your world become happier and fuller as you appreciate your world. For we all have more than enough – especially compared to those who have nothing.
Here is my random list of things to be grateful for:
- Education – for it allows me to read, write and earn money
- A good job that allows me to pay the bills , to have a house, to have food
- The ability to cook and feed myself
- The ability to clean and keep things clean
- Hot water to bathe with and wash the dishes
- The ability to drive and having a car
- The ability to be flexible
- To my darling mum
- To my old boss and old company for taking me back to work on a part time basis even though I haven’t worked for two years.
- Grateful for my temperament for being peaceful, and calm after being made redundant after 3 years of part time work, just before covid 19.
- Being careful with money and resources.
- Making money when the sun shone, and the sense to save money.
- Raja Yoga meditation taught by the Brahma Kumaris for teaching me meditation and balance in life. What is life really about.
- My darling mum for taking me to learn Raja Yoga when I was only 10 years old
- For me being a simple and easy going person. For me not wanting to have material wealth, for me for being strong
- For difficulties in life – showing me that I have the strength to overcome
- For the hand of the divine shining on me every day
- For pen and paper to journal my cares away
- For having the guts to be different
- For having the courage to live a different life,
- for the rare times i get up at 4am to Meditate – and feel the benefit of the quiet world and the love of the divine
- For books written by famous ,inspirational figures on you tube, for the blogger family
- for starting to write my books
- for making a little money blogging, hoping to make more.
- For me and for my life experience – no matter how hard it has been, for it has made me who I am today and the lessons are valuable.
- Goodish health
- Determination and motivation
- Get up and go
- For being a self starter and independent but never dependent
- for the ability to research things and for the ability to dare to speak upto doctors when mum was in hospital
- For the sun,
- for the air
- for a bed
- for each and every day
- for simplicity
- for decluttering
- for the ability to pick myself up when I am now
- for the ability to garden
- to be creative
- for family and friends
- for a government that cleans our streets
- for police that protect us
- for most people being law abiding
- for decentish neighbours
- for common sense
- the ability to smile, and make other smile
- for the passion to learn and not get overwhelmed
- for the guts to get a degree and live away , for being bold in my little way, for not settling for average, for going for it and living my dream (not the dream of others living my dream)
- for all the tough bosses that made cry
- For the tough people in my life
- For the courage to smile regardless
- For being my best self every day
- For journaling
- For blogging
- For life
- For living a full life to my standards and not pressured by peers or society.
- For getting on top of paper work.
Well, I did say random. I say to you try it for at least 21 day, to 3 months. Write between 3 to 10 things to be grateful for every day and write them out every night and watch your world change. Yes, you can repeat.
Always be grateful as we have a lot more than some.
So to help you start the habit of gratitude I am going to share 3 of my personal gratitude daily, from now until end of July.
I hope you will take this challenge on and I would love to know how you are finding it.
Thanks for stopping by. Please comment, like, share or subscribe to my blog.
- The Power of Journaling
- The 10 Laws of Trust – Joel Peterson
- Are You Present or Can TODAY Wait ?
- Make Monday Count!
- Forgiveness -Why Forgive?
- My Choice
- What Are You Feeding Your Mind?