So about two weeks ago, I asked a few questions on blogging to the WordPress community to help me research how to make money via a blog – see post here.
I then concluded I have nothing to sell and I won’t waste time on thinking about making money on my blog – for now at least. I also concluded I want to research some more so then I can say to myself I have done some basic homework and I have a clearer understanding of things – See post here.
Frankly, I hear terminology here and there, and it becomes an almighty confusion zone and then I park it all. I have decided that I want for once and for all, get a better grip on all this blogging stuff.
I plan to do a bit of basic/medium research on the following topics and I will create a blog post on them and share with you all.
Why, am I doing this:- well I just don’t have a clearer picture, it is still confusing, and probably will be more confused. But, I don’t feel I have got to the bottom of it, meaning I haven’t reached a place where I feel totally comfortable. I am more comfortable than before. I probably won’t be fully comfortable ever, but I am on a bit of a roll.
I tend to do a lot of research using youtube, it is the quickest and fastest way to gain knowledge, BuT, there is always a small catch, most YouTuber’s have an affiliation and they are indirectly selling you something. Legally, they are supposed to announce that, but some don’t.
Caveat /Important/ Small Print: Now, you guys have to understand this is my research and I am no guru on these topics, so you can’t wholly rely on what I share, it is just a starting point. You still, have to do a bit of research yourself. And remember, I at present have no plans to make money blogging, which means what I share with you is just basic research, it is not experiencing talking.
Anyway, these are the topics I am thinking of sharing if I can find a decent answer on them. Now, this research will take me some time to do and I don’t know how long that will be. I will attempt to answer all these in the next few months, so keep an eye out. Note, this will be an additional post to my current schedule.
- What does Hosting, Domain and Website mean?
- Free Domain vs Custom Domain and implication on SEO
- What is the basic difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com
- Do you need to self-host -when WordPress.com has a premium plan and a business plan?
- Have you made a mistake by being on wordpress.com? Is it too late?
- What is data migration?
- What is a web developer, what is a content developer?
- What are you trying to do with your blog?
- If you are trying to make a bit of money via your blog, do you need the blog to host the different revenue stream, or can you do without?
- Why you should be careful that you understand the terminology and the fact that people are out there to make money. And, they prey on your confusion.
- Mailing list – Mailchimp etc. Do you need a mailing list if you already have a mailing list with your wordpress.com account? Why MailChimp? Why not ConvertKit or something else?
- Employment status, Tax, conflict of interest? This will be mainly around what I find out for a UK based blogger because I live in the UK. You will have to do your own research.
Guys, I just want to say with all the research I have done, I don’t believe I need to be self-hosted, and I don’t need to move from wordpress.com. Well, not now. We must not forget, every company wants market share and they create products that are competitive, and wordpress.com is not that bad it offers a lot as at 6th Oct 2018.
I hope you will find these useful. I might not be able to get an answer to all of these or it might take me time especially the point about employment and tax as I keep getting stuck on this.
images: http://www.freeimages.com or created by myself.